Kauai, Waterfalls and Whales

20090223-016x

Opaeka a Falls

We had booked a sunset dinner cruise to the Napali coast for the afternoon/evening so we decided to cruise around the island checking out the sights in the morning.  We found several waterfalls easily accessible by car.  Though not as impressive as taking an 8 mile roundtrip hike to get to one, they were still worthwhile destinations even if they were a bit touristy.

Da plane, da plane. Fantasy Island waterfall.

Da plane, da plane. Fantasy Island waterfall.

The Wailua Falls were used in the backdrop for the opening on Fantasy Island.  Chris did a great job of getting this one!

Off roading in the rental.

Off roading in the rental.

There have been several movies filmed on this island.  We set off trying to find some of the sets for Jurassic Park.  Unfortunately, Kim is too cheap and wouldn’t let Chris get the jeep.  He did the best he could off roading in the Focus.

Kim and Chris on the sunset cruise.

Kim and Chris on the sunset cruise.

It was a beautiful evening for a sail.  We headed out on a 55 foot catamaran for our sunset dinner cruise.  We were dissapointed that we didn’t get to see the Napali coast (the whole reason for taking this tour).  Once we rounded the north shore, the waves were a rockin’ and the captain made the decision to turn around (mind you the other tour boats pushed on).  We made the most of the situation and enjoyed the food, drinks, sun, and frolicking sea life.

Humpback whale breaching.

Humpback whale breaching.

Hawaii is where the humpback whales go in the winter to birth their calves due to the warm sea temperatures.  We must have seen 100 whales in all.  The best part, as we had never caught it before, was the full breaching.  We were psyched to catch this on camera, as it was very hard to time.

Dolphins putting on a show for the boat.

Dolphins putting on a show for the boat.

Not only did we catch the whales, but we had a school of dolphins swimming along doing flips for us.

11 Responses to “Kauai, Waterfalls and Whales”

1. lindsay says:

i am soooo jellous that you saw dolphins i love them. and i must say the can is NICE! love you guys

2. Erin Wolf says:

Great pictures as usual!
    The whale and dolphin ones are just incredible, and the car on the water looks like an optical illusion!
    Hope you’re having a blast – thanks for continuing to update the site!
    xoxoxo

• admin says:

Hi Eriin,

Good to hear from you. Wasn’t sure you were still following along. We are having a great time, thanks. I hope your year is going smooth and that all good things are happening for you. Please send my regards to your mom and uncle Bob.

Hey Guys!

Love the dolphin photo it is so sharp and caught in mid-air hard to get for a moving object.

How does it feel to be back on the mainland? Can you see yourselves living in Hawaii?

Hey Kim American Idol is really good this season some great singers. Have you had a chance to catch any episodes? It has become a ritual for Chris and I to watch it every week. I miss my phone chats with you about the contestants after the weekly shows.

Of course Chris and I miss you guys, you are always a lot of fun and interesting to be around (great conversations!)

Much Love & Hugs
    Mom & Chris

• admin says:

Hi Mom and Chris,
      We just got back to LA last night. All flights were great and we were on time. Still trying to figure out where we are heading next but plan to be on the road by Saturday (have to get the camper out of storage that day). I have only seen a few American Idols, but Gary has tivo’d them for me the past few weeks. I hope to catch up over the next few days while visiting with him. We miss you guys too. Promise to call later so we can have a chat:)
      Love ya back!

4. lindsay says:

oh hahah i ment to say car sorry so how is everything doing with you guys? i am guessing that its all good

• admin says:

Hi Linds,

Got it… the car wasn’t too bad but a jeep would have been better. Everything is good we are back on the mainland at my incles in Palm Springs. We should be back on the road in a few days. It’s all good:)
      Love ya!

5. Nat says:

Oh my god your pictures are gorgeous and I am now officially jealous! I was only slightly envious before, but we have crossed the border into full blown, wish I could be there with you damn it territory! I want to paint the pic of the tree and bamboo stuff! It’s awesome! Love, Nat

• admin says:

Hi, sorry… wish you could be here too. We are having a great time but we do miss our friends. That hike was really cool. I can’t even begin to explain the mud and lush vegetation we walked through to see that waterfall. That would be a cool painting. I’m glad you are inspired by our photos. Send our regards to the boys.
      Love ya!

6. Debbie says:

Whales are soooo cool! We saw some orca’s when we were in Hawaii. We did the whole dinner cruise thing too from Oahu. Keep those pictures coming!