Lake Louise and Banff, Part II

I gotta get me one of these!

I gotta get me one of these!

The plan for the third day was a visit to the Columbia Icefields and the Athabasca Glacier.  Dad treated for a tour onto the glacier. The transportation was pretty cool (glacier humor), but walking on the glacier and actually drinking the glacial runoff was tres cool.

On the Althabasca Glacier

On the Athabasca Glacier

We enjoyed our 25 minutes in the arctic wonderland (us and the other million tourists they were bussing there). It was quite the experience.

Ubiquitous fireweed

Ubiquitous fireweed

We didn’t have firm plans for the afternoon.  We stopped for a picnic lunch along the Icefield Parkway, at one of the many picnic stops.  It was there where the plan came together. Kim and her dad were going to kayak Lake Louise while Chris did some brake work on the trailer.

Relaxing after the paddle

Relaxing after the paddle

Kim’s dad hadn’t kayaked in a long time, but caught on quickly. It was quite the experience kayaking on Lake Louise, great views, great skies, great company… It was a perfect ending to another great day.

On the way up 6 Glaciers, Lake Louise in the background

On the way up 6 Glaciers, Lake Louise in the background

Day four brought the crew back to Lake Louise to tackle the trail of Six Glaciers.  Ira wasn’t sure if he could make it but set off to try.  Total mileage was about 8 miles roundtrip with an elevation gain of about 1,200 feet (Joanne and Stan- we try and kill Kim’s parents too 🙂 ). Well, he was up for the challenge and made it.

A well deserved smoke

A well deserved smoke

Of course, he had to light his celebratory cigarette the minute he hit the top.

See the Chatteau?

See the Chatteau?

In the middle of the 6 glaciers is a teahouse, basically a coffee house in the middle of the wilderness. Ira hung out there and had some chocolate cake while Kim and Chris headed a bit further to the six glacier lookout. It was quite steep as they worked their way up the moraine to a waterfall runoff.

Kim's summit

Kim's summit

Kim chilled by the waterfall while Chris pushed a little further.

Chris' summit

Chris' summit

It was wild being a part of the scenery, actually surrounded by the six glaciers. Everyone was pretty beat after that.  We headed home to crack open some well deserved beers.  Yeah Dad!

Bow River Valley

Bow River Valley

Sunday was Ira’s last day.  After living through the Trail of Six Glaciers he was up for anything. We enjoyed a slow morning before setting out to Banff for yet another lengthy trail.  The trail, roundtrip, was about 6 miles and meandered along the Bow River, though the woods and valleys, and ended at a sad display of Hoodoo’s (once you have seen Bryce Canyon it’s really hard to look at hoodoos the same way).  With smiles on our faces we tallied the mileage for the 9 days Ira was here, about 35- Not bad for an old man!  Tired and hungry we finally found a pizza place to quell our cravings. We said our goodbyes early Monday, Ira heading to Calgary for his flight home and Kim and Chris packing up for the next stop, Waterton National Park, in Alberta CA.

7 Responses to “Lake Louise and Banff, Part II”

1. lindsay says:

see! i told you that you can drink the watter! is it the best watter you have ever tasted?!?! its good to see your dad is doing more hikeing than me. hahah oh well i dont mind one bit. chris it looks like it is time for a nother hair cut. oh and kim i put the purple in my hair and it looks…or should i say lookd amazing but it faded just like the pink. ali also has blue in her hair same with judy. we tryed to get my mom, my grandma and my grandpa to do some blue and be cool but they said no way(my grandpa said some choise words mixed in with the no’s and way’s). so i really miss you two and my mom is super pumped to come out and see you guys. even though she will be missing the drill team at state fair 🙁 .even though she will see it through video witch is just as good i guess. well i miss you and love you!
    lindsay lu lu <3

• admin says:

Hi Lu Lu,

We miss you too! You are right, the glacier water was pretty darn good. It was quite an experience. Chris says no more hair cuts until he gets home (so much for the pics). Sorry to hear your hair faded again. Frankly I am glad to be “out of the pink”. It was fun and a learning experience. Did you get any pictures of the purple? I would have loved to see your family show some colors. I thought grandma might have the guts for a streak… We are looking forwrd to seeing your mom, it’s been a long time. At least I can get her to hike with me:) By the way, my dad kicked butt! Only a few more months…

We love you,

2. Astro says:

Happy Birthday to you, Cha Cha Cha Happy Birthday to you, Cha Cha Cha Happy Birthday Uncle Chrissy, Happy Birthday to You!!! Cha Cha Cha

Love and miss you – hope you had a great day! Did you get our messages (asks Adam)?

Love Sammy and Adam and Packett and oh yeah, Mommy and Daddy too. 🙂 aka the typists 🙂

And here I thought that I wouldn’t be able to get in touch with you guys until after August 5 so I just never checked the site! Hey Chris I missed singing you the B-Day song I know your dissapointed so I’ll make sure to sing it to you twice when you get back home something you can look forward too.

Wow! is Canada amazing or what! The photos are awesome. Kudo’s to Ira he looks great!!! and he’s still a good hiker and would be even more impressive without the smokes!

The house has never been so clean and neat Sometimes I feel like Bree from Desperate Housewives poor Chris! We have been getting more showings of the house another one tomorrow this will be the 5th. showing in less than 2 weeks. The feed back has been very postive but my moto is “Show me the $”. At this rate it looks like we will get to see you guys after all which is a very good thing. I really really miss both of you can’t wait to see you in person!

Many Hugs & Love

Mom

PS Watch out for those long horn sheep they look dangerous especially the babies!!!!

• admin says:

Hi Mom,

Good to hear from you. I was wondering why you had been so quiet. Chris was amused and looks forward to “the birthday song”. The parks we have visited in Canada have been pretty awesome. It was good to see dad and he did really well on some pretty challenging hikes (he was pretty proud of himself too). If you get bored and run out of things to clean you can always go and get our house cleaned up before we return… Just kidding. I’m sure we will have some jurrasic (sp) park sized dust bunnies when we get home. I am torn abut the house… sorry it isn’t going as fast as you would like, but happy that we will get a chance to see you before you head west. By the way, we saw 3 more bears today. A mamma and two cubs, pretty close (about 30 feet) but we were in the car. That brings the grand total of bear sightings up to 19 so far. Hope you are finding some time to enjoy your summer between the cleaning and all.

Love and miss you too!

4. David Moffitt says:

Wow!

After replying to your nice message this evening I realized I hadn’t been to your site in awhile. Those photos of Banff, Lake Louise and the Columbia Icefields took me back to a “company” trip I took back in 1986 when I was with Oldsmobile. A group from all over the U.S. spent several days at Banff, taking side trips to Lake Louise, the Columbia Icefields, the Calgary Stampede, a raft trip down the Bow River and a horseback ride. We were also treated to a “Midieval” dinner at the Banff Springs Hotel.

That area is one of the most beautiful spots I’ve ever been to. I’m glad you’ve been able to enjoy it as well.

• admin says:

Hi Dave,

It was so good to hear from you again and we will shoot you an email too. We would have to agree, the Canadian Rockies definitely rank up there with one of the best spots we have visited yet.