Kayaking the Rio Grande in Big Bend Ranch SP

Today was 75 and sunny.  We had a great day floating down the Rio Grande in Big Bend Ranch State Park.  We started from Grassy Banks and worked our way down to Lajitas.  Our friends June, Polly, John, and Larry helped out by dropping us off on top.  Thanks again guys!!! Great views, great weather, great day.

Having never really kayacked before on a river, this was a new experience to us.  The fiirst few sets of rapids got the adrenaline flowing even though they were rated no higher than a 2 out of 5.

We stopped for a snack and checked out the old movie set for Contrabando.  Too bad the recent flood has done so much damage…

While exiting the river at the take out, Kim started to float away without her paddle (yes, Kim was up a creek wthout a paddle, ha, ha). She had a choice of trying to grab the paddle or risk going downstream without one.  Unfortunately, while grabbing for the paddle she went for an unexpected swim. Chris too had a choice… grab the camera or give Kim a hand.  Once he realized she would live to see tomorrow the camera won out.

10 Responses to “Kayaking the Rio Grande in Big Bend Ranch SP”

Kayaking the Rio Grande! Oh My God I would love to do this and Chris and I will someday in the not too distant future. How does the fear factor compare to tubing the Esopus? It looks like you both had a ball! The photos you guys are taking are amazing it might be a new career for both of you!

Looking forward to talking with you tomorrow. We are expecting 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow. Chris is working and I am working at home all day so I will be around if I am not out shoveling the decks & staircases. Oh how I am longing for some sun & warmth!

But like I always say every day above the ground and on the planet is a good day!

Hugs & Mucho Love!

Mom

2. mike says:

Hey guys! Happy New Year!! your pictures are awsome, the blissful smiles on your faces tell of the fun you are having. We are headed to Rochester. we (carri) are packing away chrismas, and we are on the road tomorrow morning. We will stay at Moms until Sunday. It will be great to see everyone, unfortunately sad circumstances. By the way, i understand that if you roast a grass hopper on a stick over an open fire it tastes like popcorn. with that one you could eat for a day! it looks like the size of our dog! its a comfort to know its 4 only inches, thank you for the info in the sidebar. I hope we can talk to you soon.

3. Jon Schwartz says:

Chris and Kim,

OK wasn’t bright green with jealousy until I saw the kayaks. Good winter for you guys to leave. I think we are on our 10th snowstorm. Everyone @ Frontier says hello and have a Happy New Year!

Jon Schwartz

4. admin says:

Hey Mike,

We wish you safe travels. We hope you had a great holiday and wish you a safe and happy new year. We checked into coming home but from where we are it is crazy. 5-6 hour drive to the airport then about an 11 hour flight each way… Wish we could all be together. Hoping you have a great visit regardless of the circumstances. So glad you are following along. Send our regards to Carri and Chase.

Love,

5. admin says:

Hi Mom,

It was a lot of fun once we got the hang of it. It was similar except with the kayak you really have to be careful about how you enter and exit the rapids. Tubing is a little more passive. I can’t wait to do it again. I hope you and Chris get your chance real soon!!! I’m sure we’ll chat later tonight… If per chance I miss you have a Happy, Healthy New Year and stay warm.

Love ya,
    Me

6. stephanie komarek says:

Hey guys, looks like fun!!!!
    Happy New Year from us in the great white north-today it’s about 18 and a foot of snow on the ground.
    See Ya, Pete

7. admin says:

Hi Jon,

Sorry to hear about the weather… Wishing everyone there a Happy, Healthy New Year! Glad your checking in.

Chris and Kim

8. admin says:

Hey Pete,

Hope your New Year’s eve was a good one. Sounds like some great snowmobiling opportunities. Hope you guys had a good visit in Florida.

Happy New Year!!! and Keep in Touch

9. Amy Hogle says:

Hi Kim!

Happy New Year! Thanks for your input Kim. It was very helpful. Thanks for being there. The pictures are still looking great! Your smiles say it all! Keeping having big fun out there!

10. admin says:

Hi Amy,

I hope my input was helpful! Wishing you and the family a Happy New Year!!! We are having a great time, thanks. The smiles are real ones.

Kim