Tuscon, Hiking and Friends.

Lots and lots of Saguaro cacti.

Lots and lots of Saguaro cacti.

Gilbert Ray Campground is located just outside of the Saguaro (sah-wah-row) National Forest.  Although smaller than the eastern region of the Saguaro NF, there were over 45 miles of trails to choose from for a hike.   Although the views were not Big Bend, the vistas of saguaro covered mountains and valleys were quite beautiful. The saguaro cactus can grow to over 50 feet tall and are the largest member of the cactus family in the US. They generally take over 45 years to reach 6 feet tall and have a life span of 200 years.  They are impressive in both size and numbers in this area.

Kim and Chris at the top Mt Wasson.

Kim and Chris at the top Mt Wasson.

We decided to create an 8 mile loop from several trails, with the summit of the Wasson Mountain (Wasson peak is the highest peak in the western Saguro NF at 4,687 feet) as our goal. We were impressed with our timing.  We completed our loop in under 4 hours, leaving plenty of time to wash up for a visit with our friends June and John from Terlingua.

Vic, Marie, June and John.

Vic, Marie, June and John.

As luck would have it, June and John were visiting family about 45 minutes from where we were staying.  We had a great visit and enjoyed celebrating John’s sister’s (Marie) birthday with a rib barbeque.  Hopefully, our paths will cross again int hte not so distant future!

6 Responses to “Tuscon, Hiking and Friends.”

1. Astro says:

Watch out for the rattlesnakes, scorpions and moose up in them parts this time of year. “I hear moose bites can be pretty nasty. No really it’s true, a moose once bit my sister…”

The one picture I am just waiting for Wile E. Coyote to jump out of it holding up a big ACME sign…

Looks awesome – my first blog ever, impressed? Thought you might be. 🙂 Love and miss you guys.

2. admin says:

Hey Annie,

Must be a line from a movie… We haven’t seen any moose but there are signs everywhere to watch for mountain lions. We have only seen those at the zoo (I’m glad for that). Good job on the blogging! You go girl.

Love and miss you and the family,

3. David says:

Hi I’m David and I like all you pictures and they are so cool. Where have you been? I looking forward to know where you have been. Tell me all the yhings you’ve done. All your pictures are really cool, especailly the one were Chris jumps over that water surface

4. admin says:

Hi David,

We have been so many places and done so many things… If you look through the website you should see the highlights! Glad you are enjoying the pictures. I was very psyched when I caught Chris in midair!

5. Ted and Nat says:

Well, did Chris feel, um, inadequate? Um, you know, all that cacti……. ahem, anyway, that road is absolutely amazing and I am so proud of you Kim, you’re going to come back to us as a superhero for sure! You’ll be the one with all the scratches in the dirt next time we play that game on girls weekend! (Chris always was a super hero) Love, Nat and Ted

6. admin says:

Hey Nat and Ted,

How cool are the cacti? The road was very cool and I am getting better at those twists and turns as we speak. By the way… Chris was too sexy for the catwalk:) Can’t wait to hear about the plans fof April!

Love you guys,